This Lectureship Scheme seeks to promote neurochemistry (defined broadly as molecular and cellular neurobiology) in those countries where the science is developing from a low base. This scheme recognises the synergy between the International Society for Neurochemistry (ISN) through its journal, the Journal of Neurochemistry (JNC), and its publishers Wiley Blackwell, and the broad goal of the advancement of the science of neurochemistry throughout the world for the public benefit.
Its intent is to support a Plenary Lecture at the annual meetings of societies of neurochemistry, neuroscience or neurobiology in such countries by an eminent, international neuroscientist on a topic related to molecular and cellular neurobiology.
The decision to award an ISN Wiley-Blackwell-JNC-International Lectureships will be made by ISN in consultation with Wiley Blackwell. There will be three ISN-Wiley Blackwell-JNC-International Lectureships per annum, each valued at US $5,000.
Funding will be provided on an 80:20 basis, with 80% of funds transferred to the society prior to the lecture and the remaining 20% provided on the receipt of a report (150 words approximately) plus photograph.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
Eligible Applicants are a Society or Conference seeking to host a Speaker; NO individuals.
The person applying in the name of a Society or Conference has to have an official function in the Society (President, Secretary, Treasurer) or Conference (Chair of the Program or Organization Committee).
Applicants for the ISN Wiley-Blackwell-JNC-International Lectureships funding MUST be active members of the ISN. Only ISN Wiley-Blackwell-JNC-International Lectureships awardees who have renewed their membership for the current year are eligible to receive the financial support.
DEADLINES FOR APPLICATIONS:
April 30 and October 31
Applications should be sent to ISN Secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org
Once three Lectureship Awards have been granted, the application process will close for the year. Due to the high quality of applications we receive, we advise you to apply earlier in the year (April 30) for a greater chance of your application being considered.
AWARDEES / REPORTS / ARCHIVES
Supported Lectureships 2016
The 34th Annual Meeting of Indian Academy of Neurosciences – Report
Date: October 19-21, 2016, New Delhi, India
Plenary Speaker: Prof. Kenton Swartz
Lecture: “Structure and temperature-sensing mechanism in the capsaicin receptor TRPV1 channel”
Organized by Dr. Pankaj Seth
Supported Lectureships 2015
The 14th Meeting of Asian-Pacific Society for Neurochemistry (APSN)
Date: 27-30 August 2016, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Plenary Speaker: Prof. Michael Häusser
Lecture: “All-optical interrogation of neural circuits”
Organized by Prof. Andrew Lawrence
Genomics of neurodegenerative disorders
Date: 13-16 January 2016, Cairo, Egypt
Pleanary Speaker: Prof. Joyce Tomber-Tink
Lecture: “Epigenetics of optic neuritis using multiple sclerosis mouse model: PEDF; a hope for treatment”
Organized by Dr. Wael Mohamed
The Latin-American School on glial cells in the damaged brain – Report
Date: 13-17 July 2015, Bogota, Colombia
Plenary Speaker: Dr. Rona Giffard
Organized by Dr. George E. Barreto
Supported Lectureships 2014
The XXVIII Annual Meeting of the Sociedad de Biología Celular de Chile – Report
Date: October 26-30,2014, Puerto Varas, Chile
Attendace: Dr. Eckart D. Gundelfinger and Dr. Constanze Seidenbecher .
The 11th Conference of Neuroscience Society of Nigeria – Pictures
Date: 26th November–2nd December, 2014, Nigeria
Attendace: Professor Michael Aschner
Supported Lectureships 2012
Event: The 15th KSBNS Annual Meeting
Venue: Seoul National University Cultural Center, Seoul, Korea
Date: 25th – 26th September, 2012
Organizer: Korean Society for Brain and Neural Sciences (KSBNS)
Plenary speaker: Dr. Jeff Wickens
Lecture Title: A Cellular Mechanism for Reinforcement Learning: Dopamine-Dependent Plasticity in the Corticostriatal Pathway
Venue: Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, India
Date: 27th – 30th October, 2012
Organizer: Indian Academy of Neuroscience
Plenary speaker: Prof. PJ Robinson
Lecture Title: Dynamin Modulators in Synaptic Vesicle Endocytosis: A pathway to Anti Epileptic Drugs
Report: click here