The ISN Advanced Schools offer a unique opportunity for young neuroscientists to meet experts from all over the world, to learn about the latest discoveries and to discuss own research projects with faculty members.
Traditionally, our Advanced School has preceded the ISN Biennial Meeting. The 2017 School was at Château Varennes in the Île-de-France region, approximately one hr. from Paris.
The topic of the School “The energetic brain” reflected the fact that the brain has a high need for energy and maintains a delicate interplay between energy metabolism, neurotransmission and plasticity. Disturbances to the energetic balance, to mitochondria quality control or to glia-neuron metabolic interaction may lead to brain circuit malfunction or even severe disorders of the CNS.
Students had the opportunity to present their work in short oral presentations (3 min., max. 3 slides) and in a poster session. Posters for the Advanced School and the ISN main meeting were identical.
A round table discussion with the Chief editor of the Journal of Neurochemistry was devoted to Do’s and Don’ts in scientific publishing.
Constanze Seidenbecher, Chairperson
Marianne Renner, Local Organizer
Confirmed faculty members:
- Felipe Barros (Chile) “Fast fueling of information processing: roles of neurons and astrocytes”
- Elizabeth Coulson (Australia)
- Ralf Dringen (Germany) “Modulation of the Metabolism of Brain Cells by Drugs and Environmental Toxins”
- Yukiko Goda (Japan) “Deconstructing synaptic circuits to study the contribution of individual synapses”
- Eckart Gundelfinger (Germany)
- Matt Rasband (USA) „Functional organisation of axons in health and disease“
- Marianne Renner (France) “Diffusion brakes: paying the price of organising the neuronal plasma membrane”
- Hermona Soreq (Israel) „microRNA contributions to the links between anxiety and metabolic disorders“
- Xiongwei Zhu (China/USA) „Mitochondrial dynamics and quality control during neurodegeneration“
- Jörg Schulz, Chief Editor Journal of Neurochemistry, Aachen, Germany: Round table about scientific publishing
The program schedule for the School can soon be downloaded here: Preliminary program schedule ISN School 2017
Members of the ISN Advanced School Subcommittee
Constanze Seidenbecher (chairperson; Germany)
Marianne Renner (local co-organizer; France)
Monica J. Carson (USA, ex officio)
Kazuhiro Ikenaka (Japan, ex officio)
Ralf Dringen (Germany, ex officio)
Matthew Rasband (USA)
Elizabeth Coulson (Ausralia)
Felipe Barros (Chile)
Yukiko Goda (Japan)
Hermona Soreq (Israel)
Xiongwei Zhu (China/USA)